Friday, April 17, 2009

Outside Work!!

I am an outdoors guy! Though I spend much of my time at computers, desks, and tables, I would much rather be in the sun, sweating real hard, and wearing myself out. Actually, manual labor is like a stress-reliever for me, and the last two days have been full of it. Here are a few pics.

This is me cutting a tree up for fire wood. Excuse the finger in the camera shot, it was a 7-year old. =D


This is Aaron in one of his favorite places, on the tractor tilling up the garden for crop planting.


After Aaron got done, I spent the next 2 hours with 8 boys from the Academy hoeing, planting, and covering 5 rows of butter beans and 14 rows of corn. Tomorrow I will be planting about 10 more rows of corn, 3 or 4 rows of squash, and a couple of cucumber. This adds to what my dad already did yesterday, which was about 6 rows of okra and 12 rows of green beans in a separate garden.

I just love this time of the season. It must be something about life, and the way things grow that intrigues me...I don't know. Whatever the case, we'll be seeing lots of black, cold soil, weeds, young plants, grown plants, harvest, canning, etc., etc. over the next few months. I'll try to get a few more pics tomorrow for you when I'm done, and I'll certainly keep you posted as the season progresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a homey post, Clay. =) I wish we could be there to help you guys out. It looks like fun, even though it's hard work. Well, hard work actually seems easy to me when I'm with people I like... =)

I miss you guys a lot. Have a nice day...talk to you later...and be careful with that chainsaw, KK!!! =D

Your phriend,
Lyd

Elsie Gibbs said...

Oooooh yay! We will be doing the same thing here in about 3-4 wks. But we don't have a tractor. Our garden is not as big as ya'll need :) We'll be doing it the 'ol hoe and rake way :) I love HARD work too Bro. Clay. Since we're up here in AK, we get to do lots of wood chopping. And shoveling snow. As well as spring/summer yard work too :D See ya'll tonight for church.
Mrs. Elsie