Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Dealing With People

Have you ever wondered why they left? Elimelech and Naomi left Bethlehemjudah, "the house of bread," over in the book of Ruth. And why? I know there was a famine. But did they expect there to never be a famine in the land? The famine will surely come...it always comes. It's just a matter of when...

I wonder if someone had asked them why they were leaving, what they would've said. "We are afraid of..."

Stop right there. Fear? Where fear is the fruit, doubt is the seed. This is the opposite of faith. But there they go... leaving Bethlehemjudah.

There is a tendency, in the ministry, to get hardened. It's not that the tenderness toward others is gone, or that you no longer desire to help those who need it. It's simply that you get tired of seeing those who seemed the most loyal, the most unmoveable, and the most faithful, depart in time of famine.

I am not where I am today because of the greatness of man; I am here because of the greatness of God. If I had based my loyalty, devotion, and steadfastness on the strength of a man, or the greatness of a leader, I would no longer be in the ministry today. You see, there have been many opportunities for me to get out of this fight...and tempting occasions as well. I am who I am because of the grace of God, and the day God changes will be the day that it will be right for me to go to Moab in the famine.

To quote one of my favorite lines from any hymn:

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness; I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name."

I say all of this because I am beginning to wonder what it is that causes people to make decisions. For instance, I go to Truth Baptist Church because I believe that is where God wants me. It is my Bethlehemjudah. One day, I will go away to Law school, and when that happens, I will do it because that's what I believe God wants me to do.

But then I see people leave our church. And rather than base it on the will of God, they base it on feelings and fear. "Well," you say, "they've been feeling like leaving for a long time." Oh yeah? SO HAVE I! But since when do our feelings have anything to do with the will of God? Since when do Christians reserve the right to make decisions as if God's will has nothing to do with their life?

Why were you at Truth Baptist Church? Because Bro. Buddy Maynard was such a great man? You're right...he was and he still is. But if you were here because of his faithfulness, I'm surprised you weren't disappointed and scared off sooner! What a sad reason to be somewhere...the strength of a mortal man.

You see, I am not here because my Pastor is perfect. I'm here because God is perfect, and he told me to be here. Only those who base their decisions on man need act in fear, out of feeling. Only someone who bases their decisions on a man need change their mind at the drop of a hat.

And only a fool would leave the "house of bread," where God is, because there is a famine in the land.

2 comments:

Elsie Gibbs said...

God-giftedly said Brother Clay!!! We are so carefully and mercifully in the Maker's Hand! It is ONLY by His tender care that we are still serving Him this very day! Glory Glory, He is Able!

Paige said...

very well spoken claybo people these days are so wish-e-wash-e cant make up there mind and no body is perfect