Saturday, June 20, 2009

But there is forgiveness with thee... Psalm 130:4

The ideal of forgiveness is a choice and an emotion of supernatural composition. It is not a humanly natural trait. A heart of forgiveness can only come from the God who gives it. Yet, as hard as it can be to forgive, we are asked to do it often. Why?

If I could think of one characteristic of Christ as it pertains to my relationship with the Lord, I think it would have to be forgiveness. There is not one trait of my Lord that overshadows my relationship with him as much or as strong as his forgiveness toward me. Forgiveness is by definition to pardon or remit and offense or debt; to overlook an offense and treat the offender as not guilty of the said offense.

Many times there is not forgiveness with man. But Psalm 130:4 is one of my favorite verses because He is always willing and able to forgive. His forgiveness toward me is what makes me love him so. In fact, every time I confess my sin to him, I find myself in deep thanks and gratitude for his forgiveness, being amazed at the fact that he would forgive me yet again. In fact, if it wasn't God that was doing the forgiving, I wouldn't believe it to be genuine. But my God is amazing!

So, in essence, to be like Christ, we ought to be a forgiving people. And yet, I think this is one thing that most Christians never learn--a forgiving heart! I think we've learned, in a lot of ways, how to abuse the goodness of God by never showing the goodness we've received to others.

In the account of Matthew 18:21-35, we find a lesson by the Lord Jesus about a man that owed a great debt. After being forgiven by the king of this insurmountable debt, he would not forgive his neighbor of a simple, small debt. Do you think you've been forgiven of 100 sins? 10,000? Probably more? Christ forgave you of all those sins, never needing forgiveness himself, yet needing forgiveness on a constant basis, we would dare to refuse forgiving others. How many times have you not forgiven someone in your heart, then asked God for his forgiveness?

I believe there are Christians all over standing in churches thanking God for forgiveness, and if they would be real quiet, they would hear the Holy Spirit yelling back, "Then why don't you forgive?"

Forgiveness is as much for the one giving it as it is for the one receiving it. Why? Because if you desire to be Christlike, you must forgive. If you do not forgive someone, you are hindering both yourself, and the one you refuse to forgive, in your walk with the Lord.

Has someone ever forgiven you? How did you feel about that? Thankful? Do others deserve forgiveness less than you do?

Galatians 6:1-3
"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself."

The issue of unforgiveness stems from pride. You cannot harbor unforgiveness in a humble heart. You cannot harbor unforgiveness in a heart that is right with God.

The bottom line is, people are worth forgiving. I've heard people say, "You don't know what they did to me." To that I say, I also don't know what you did to the Lord that he forgave you for.

Just forgive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really good, Clay. How true it is. Just yesterday Hannah was talking to me about forgiveness. Even if people don't ask us for forgiveness, it's our duty to forgive them anyway--hard as it may be. I've learned over the last few years that no matter what someone has done, refusing to forgive them will only hurt you. We unknowingly build up walls of bitterness, and bitterness is accompanied by anger...that's a dreadful load to bear. It's pretty ungodly not to forgive someone anyway...especially knowing the countless times our Father has forgiven us.

Lord help me to ALWAYS forgive!

Anyway, that was excellent. Thanks.

Nice talking to you today...

Your phriend,
Lydia

Elsie Gibbs said...

Wonderful post Bro. Clay. Our assistant pastor just recently talked about when he realized God's love being forever. He loves us no matter what. He doesn't love sin though, of course. But he was amazed and in awe, he said, when he finally realized that he doesn't do anything for God's love. He said how he doesn't even have to go to visitation, and God still loves him, he doesn't have to go to ministry, and God still loves him. Etc., Etc. All this, brings us to serve God out of our love for Him. Like the teaching of, what's our Faith without works? As you were saying, basically, what's our christianity without forgiveness.

Amen!
Ms. Elsie