Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Thief is Dead!

For the past month or so, we've been having problems with a raccoon getting in our chicken pen. Our chicken population has gone from 19 to 4 in the last few weeks, so I guess the fight has been on. Well, last night, I planned on going out and sitting in the woods beside the chicken pen until he came out to get his evening meal. As I was walking across the yard with the gun and a flashlight, one of the boys in the academy ran up to tell me that the coon was in the pen right then! So I hurried over there, and sure enough he was in there. Three 12 gauge turkey-shot rounds later, it was a done deal. Now we need to go buy some more baby chicks to replace all the dead. Anyway, here are the pics...

They are very beautiful animals....if they just wouldn't mess with my chickens!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is SO yucky!

Elsie Gibbs said...

Yes sir, Congratulations on the victory! Up here we have foxes that get locals chickens. Sometimes I've heard wolf problems. Then we also have wolf-hybrids (half wolf, half Alaskan malamute, that some foolish people like to breed.). The hybrids pulverize the local animals to a pulp, and leave remains. Some local farmers wake up to pieces of their livestock all over their yards and farms :( Horrible. Anyways, if you have the time, that message about the devil like a racoon would be a blessing, someday.

Ms. Elsie

Clay said...

No coon hats for me...though I do have some neighbors who are going to. No joke, they really are! They asked me the night I shot it if they could have it. I would have been just fine to bury it.

As for the 3 shells--you would need to draw a comparison in my mind to the devil, kind of the way that coon did, so there's nothing to worry about. There are others however... :D JK