Thursday, August 13, 2009

"And laid thy hand upon me..." Psalm 139:5-6

It's one thing to imagine great things to be done for God, and even ask for the Lord to do them through you. It's one thing to offer your services to God. But it's quite another thing for God to lay his hand upon you.

When God lays his hand on you, you are ruined. You are only good for his use. Someone who has been chosen by God cannot succeed at anything besides what he has called you to be. You cannot be a good salesman, policeman, or soldier of the armed forces when you're called to preach. You won't make a good insurance agent, real estate developer, or even church worker when God wants you on the mission field. I didn't say you couldn't be those things, you'll just be barely making it on your own, miserable out of God's will.

Only God knows what I know about myself. And while everyone else can say the same, it does not take away from me the amazement that God decides to use me. I'm not the only candidate out there. God makes a conscious choice to put me in positions to get glory out of my life. Why?

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it."

When choosing someone to be a young preacher one day, God must have looked over the earth for a young, small, unworthy boy. He saw the most insignificant and wicked young man, and decided that if he would give his life to God, he could get glory from his life, seeing he had absolutely nothing to be proud of. He knew at that time how much I would fail him, how much I would fall short, and how sorry of a Christian I would be, and he still laid his hand on me.

Then I've gotten up and preached and God seemed to just blow through and lavish favor on me....for what reason, I for the life of me cannot figure out! I am the last person worthy to be used for God's glory in something like washing a toilet, let alone for God to tell me to preach his holy book.

He's sees right through me! He sees as I preach and knows the struggles I face even in things I'm preaching about. He sees my pitfalls that show up in my sermons, and he allows me to preach the standard so much higher than I've ever been able to attain. I've always had to be honest with him. What's there to hide from him, anyway?

He knew before he saved me what kind of Christian I would be. He knew before he called me just how much I would hurt him in my actions, though striving for better. He knew! And he still laid his hand upon me!

"Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it."

God, if I am only good on earth for one thing, may it be bringing you honor and glory. If I can only attain one thing, may it be that in spite of myself, my love for you always be stronger than the day before. And in essence, God, please help me to bring a smile to your face!

No comments: