Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our Problem with God’s Will

I appreciate God’s will. I’ve seen it guide, work, and lead in many situations. The will of God has led me as much as I’ve seen it lead anyone. I’ve seen God speak when I had questions, showing me his will. I’ve watched God’s will work in the lives of others. I’ve seen the blessings of those who followed it, and the horrible consequences of those who did not.

I’ve never believed God’s will was a mystery. I always believed that if you truly wanted God’s will, God would show you what he wanted. People act sometimes like God is playing hide and seek with his will, like he gets some sort of pleasure out of seeing you distress over what he might want for you. I don’t believe my Lord does that.

But there is something about God’s will, that, if you don’t understand it, you could be greatly discouraged and disheartened. This concept is called God’s timing! Revealing his will is an art that only God understands, and it’s where faith comes into the picture. There is a beauty that turns the head of God Almighty, and it’s faith.

God does not show you his complete will. He only shows you what he wants you to see. I used to deeply wonder at why he would do this. One night, as I was meditating on this, I asked God why he wouldn’t tell me some important things I felt like I should be able to know. I simply asked God to show me why he wouldn’t let me see the whole picture, or at least more than I was seeing at the time. Then, whether by divine inspiration or common sense I don’t know, it occurred to me that what I knew about God’s will, I would prepare myself for. What I didn’t know about God’s will for me, I could not try to prepare for. Maybe God didn’t want me to try to prepare for my own future instead of letting him prepare me for my future.

And here lies the problem. Are we content to only see as much of God’s will as he allows us to? Do we allow our wishes to see too much of his plan deter us from doing his immediate plan. Could it be that your misconceiving that God is not showing you his will when in reality his will is for you to do nothing. You can’t see everything at once; it would take away from the sovereignty of God, as well as our dependence on his guidance. Don’t allow the road signs miles down the road that you can’t quite make out distract you from adequately obeying the road signs right in front of you. Focusing on God’s will in 5 years may cause you to lose focus on God’s will for you right now.

Faith is taking the first stair when you can’t see the whole staircase. Faith is trusting God to only show you what part of his will he wants you to know for now and being content with it. I say this not because I have conquered it completely. Rather on the contrary, I have been chastened on this quite recently. Without realizing it, you can build up a grudge against the Lord about something you don’t or can’t understand. Don’t allow that to happen. Be content with only a piece of the puzzle. One day, when the picture is all complete, you will enjoy the beauty of it tremendously, because you know every mountain and valley of each piece.

Just something to think about.

4 comments:

Josiah H said...

That was a great statment about faith! Now you just need the music! =) Have a great day Bro!
--
Joe

StevePS5289 said...

Thats some good stuff Bro. Verry true.

Anonymous said...

Good post on faith and God's Will. Love you, son.

Hannah said...

That was very good! Thanks for sharing, Clay!

Love your sis,
Hannah