Monday, August 31, 2009

Real Treasure

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:”

Christians today see their lives through the dimmed glasses of worldly philosophy. We seem to think that our life consisteth of the abundance of things that we possess, though the Bible warns us of this. In fact, the measure of a life is not in the amount that you can see, but rather in the amount that you can’t see. What has he given of himself to God?

The amount of yourself that has been given wholly to God is the true measure of your worth in this life. Those that only look to lay up great wealth here on earth have missed the greatest blessing that wealth can be to you—giving. If God supplies my needs, and I believe he does, then the amount of myself and my possessions that I give to God is the measure of what I think I need to help God take care of me. Do I have the faith that God can supply my needs without my help?

Christians have laid up no treasure in the eternal bank of heaven, focusing to treasure all temporal (and I mean REAL temporal) possessions in safes, banks, and wallets.

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

Herein lies the problem. God wants your heart. When he gets that, the money comes with it. My treasure has, for the most part, gone to reach souls around this world. As a result, I don’t have as many earthly treasures. Should I worry? Did God need that money to pay for my college? No! God paid for my entire college with scholarships.

When your money is not surrendered to the Lord, neither is a whole host of other things. Why? Your heart is wrong.

I know why so many churches freeze up when money is mentioned. I know why missionaries are spending 4-5 years on deputation. I know why the Mormons are doing such a much better job of reaching this world. Because we are looking at the sorriest bunch of Christians God has ever had to work with! You as God’s people are sitting on your wallets as if they belong to you while a lost world is going to Hell! That’s why.

Perhaps your pharisaical, cold heart will only be softened by the flames of Hell as the lost are turned into it on the day of judgment. I promise you, you will be the one that loses out by storing your money in banks that will burn and wallets that steal your treasure, and therefore your heart, from God. God’s people need wake up—and fast! The end is near, and the churches are asleep at the wheel.

Examine yourself!

No comments: